Victorious Lion of Judah

Monday, September 27, 2010

WHO WAS MORE A KING?

Who Was More A King?
Saul was anointed by God to be king. He was more moral than David in that he didn't struggle in some of the areas that plagued David. His weakness wasn't outward; it was inward. Saul Looked like a king, whereas David looked like an underage juvenile delinquent who should have been home taking care of the flocks. But David wasn't in the palace; he was out there with the men, fighting the giants and bringing about change. Saul's armor shined in the noonday sun. David had no armor. He fought naked, free from the entanglements of trying to be impressive. He was not ashamed. Even his weapon looked substandard; it was just an old, ragged, shepherd's slingshot.

Although David's weapon was outwardly substandard, it was nevertheless lethal; it led to the destruction of the giant. We can never destroy our enemy with the superficial armor of a pious king. We don't need the superficial. We need the supernatural! David's naked, transparent demeanor was so translucent that he often seems extremely vulnerable. He seems almost naive at times. When he worships, he does it with holy abandonment. When he lusts, he does it to obsessive dimensions. You would almost think he was unfit, except that when he repents, there is something so powerful in his prayer that even his most adamant critic must admit his openness with God!

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee, The only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Thy sight: that Thou mightest be justified when Thou seakest, and be clear when Thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part Thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which Thou has broken may rejoice. Hide Thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Breathe in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto Thee. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of Thy righteousness. Psalm 51:1-14

What a sharp contrast there is between David & King Saul, whose stately demeanor & pompous gait didn't stop him from being an incredible deceiver. Even when he was face-to-face with Samuel the prophet, Saul lied at a time he should have repented! The problem with Saul & people like him is that they are interested in their image than they are concerned about being immaculate in their hearts.

While Saul stood arrayed in his kingly attire, boasting of his conquest over an enemy king and lying about his real struggles, the heathen king whom Saul had been commended to kill was still alive. The sheep that he had been ordered to destroy were still bleating in the valley. God did not destroy Saul for not killing what he should have killed; that wasn't the biggest problem. God can work with weakness; in fact His strength is made perfect in our human weakness--2 Corinthians 12:9 The central problem was that Saul's deceitfulness had become a breach too wide to bridge. David might have been weak, and struggled with moral issues, but at least he was naked before God!

Saul represents that part of all of us that must be overthrown. It is the leadership of Saul in us that must be renounced if we are to go beyond the superficial and fulfill our destiny in the supernatural. God knows who we are. He can deliver us from ourselves, but we must be honest enough to say, This is all You have to work with, God. What can You do with what I have presented? Misrepresentation will not be tolerated! There must be an open confession that enables God's grace to be allocated to your need.

Be Honest
Now hear this, you who would allow the spirit of Saul to reign in your life: The house of Saul represents those fleshy areas that we war against. These are areas that hide in religious clothes but do not worship God in honesty--not perfection, just honesty. Saul was perhaps "more moral" than David, but David was by far "more honest." Consequently, the house of Saul grew weaker & weaker and the house of David grew stronger and stronger!

There is a gradual & perpetual transference of authority as we walk with God. we move from the Saul-like rule of superficial religion to a Davidic anointing based on honesty & transparency. Like a chick pecking through its shell, we press through our concerns and over other people's opinions, and break into the light to know God in a more definitive way!

"My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you"--Galatians 4:19. Only God knows the process it will take for the Christ who saved you to be formed in you. He is taking each of us to that place where the child begins to bear a greater resemblance to his Father. Be assured that this only occurs at the end of travailing prayer and openness of heart, as we confess and forsake every trace of Saul's rule in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment